[Histonet] Sectioning Probems, again

Va Paula Sicurello vapatpxs <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 00:49:56 CST 2009

For all those who wondered how I embedded my mouse hearts that won't section-

The processing schedule is as follows:

Tissue samples hold in 70% alcohol until the process begins using an Autotechnicon.  If you don't know what that is, ask someone who has been doing histology for a loooong time.
80%, two 95's, 3 100's, 3 Citrisolve all for 1 hour with agitation.  2 changes of Surgipath EM-400 (same as I've used in clinical labs).  Then 30 minutes to one hour in EM-400 under vacuum.

Since I inherited all the reagents and embedding paraffins's and I have to get the histology core running with minimal expense (I know, I know, but tell that to the CEO) I must work with the reagents I have.

I can tel you that liver samples were embedded using the same reagents and wax and they sectioned fine.  Well, fine for liver.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Paula

Paula Sicurello
VA Medical Center San Diego
Veterans Medical Research Foundation (VMRF)
Core Microscope Facility, room B141
3350 La Jolla Village Dr., MC151
San Diego, CA 92161
858-552-8585 x2397