[Histonet] "The histotech's piece of paper"

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 09:52:29 CST 2009

True that a "piece of paper" does not make the histotech BUT if all those who work in histology had that "piece of paper", salaries would be better and more even, respect for the profession would increase, and these discussion would not take place.
I have also had people working in my lab that were certified and lousy from the technical point of view and OJT histotechs that were better in everything they did but did not have a clue why things worked or not and at that point all their abilities were reduced to manual dexterity, and that is not the ideal situation.
Histotechs are the tech worst paid in the medical laboratory and the least respected, and that should end, and the best way of doing that is to encourage all the OJT histotechs to get certified and try to prevent that the lab managers hire "anybody" to do histology, because "it is not that important or that difficult".
It is "lab culture" thing that has to be overcome.
René J.

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, Chris Evanish <CEvanish <@t> mont-hosp.com> wrote:

From: Chris Evanish <CEvanish <@t> mont-hosp.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Re: uncertified techs in Histology (Chris Evanish)
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 1:21 PM

I have been in the Histology field for 20 years and I have seen
registered and nonresgistered techs and believe me some unregistered
tech did a better job then the registered. Passing a test and getting a
piece of paper does not mean that the tech was properly trained and has
experience and knowledge in the field. Plus now you have to go to
college to be eligible to take the test.