[Histonet] Re: certified vs. uncertified techs

Larry Woody slappycraw <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 20:23:54 CST 2009

Finally, someone else gets the point of unifying the field of histology. Thank you Shelly. It really isn't about where you were trained or went to school or not. Once we are standardized we are stronger in many ways that will help us all.

Larry A. Woody
Seattle, Wa.

________________________________
From: Shelly Coker <sccrshlly <@t> yahoo.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:06:32 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Re: certified vs. uncertified techs

I am a supporter of certification as a goal.  I have no problem with anyone who is OJT and took their exam.  The goal of having everyone certified is to have a standardization so that we don't have such a disparity in pay.  I can tell you that I have worked at a hospital where the difference in pay between certified and uncertified was significant (several $ per hour differeence) even though these individuals were performing the same tasks.  Is that fair?  No, but if you have the education then you get the higher pay.  Now does it sound more fair?  I feel that anyone who is in the position to train at a hospital should be moving toward certification, even if that means one college course at at time.  Everyone should always be trying to increase their knowledge.  This is what make each of us marketable.  If you are not challenging yourself, how can you ever improve?  There are several online programs out there for those of you in rural
hospitals, so there really isn't a viable reason for not persuing certification.  And just look at the end results: more pay and more respect.

Just my 2 cents...