[Histonet] RE: uncertified techs in Histology

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:10:33 CST 2009

I've been a research scientist and laboratory manager for over 20 years, and I learned histology by on-the-job training.  Apparently I'm pretty good at it, and the people I've trained became good at it.  I am slightly bothered by the fact that after all these years of experience, I'm still not considered a "real histologist."   Mind you, I understand that histology for diagnosing human patients ought to be more rigorous than histology for pure research.

I have actually hired on certified histotechnologist, and he was the best I ever had.  I mean, he was even as good as me.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology