[Histonet] RE: Flammable storage

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Fri Feb 6 13:45:15 CST 2009

We have purchased a flammable or explosion proof refrigerator from Fisher Scientific.  The thermostat is on the outside of the cabinent not inside the cabinet.  This is very important for two reasons: 1) if you have flammable or ignitable reagents and you store then in a frost free refrigerator (regular Sears , etc refrigerator) you will run the risk of an explosion or fire.  We had this happen here at UAMS several years ago when some put a flammable reagent in a regular freezer.  When the compressor came on it blue the door off of the refrigerator and set the whole lab on fire.  You do not want to deal with this.  2) If you store your antibodies, kits, etc in a frost free or regular refrigerator it will destroy the antibody because a frost free refrigerator cycles and in cycling will heat up and make your antibody expire quicker.  I know that these special refrigerators are very expensive but if you have a lot of antibodies and kits, or if you have a lot of flammables that must be kept cold it is worth it.

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Center for Orthopaedic Research
Barton Research Building 2R28
4301 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 686-8739 PHONE
(501) 686-8987 FAX
swainfrancesl <@t> uams.edu email

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Webb, Dorothy L
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 1:36 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Flammable storage

How does everyone store any reagents that need refrigeration that are
also flammable? We have always just stored them in the routine histology
refrigerator.  I have never had this concern come up before and the
charge tech of toxicology is now questioning this type of storage.  Any
guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, as always fellow histonetters, the best group in the world!!

Dorothy Webb, HT
Regions Histology Technical Supervisor
651-254-2962
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the HealthPartners Support Center by telephone at (952) 967-6600. You will be reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in notifying us.