[Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 15:52:31 CST 2009

In Florida we need to keep blocks only during 9 years. Every year we disposed those kept for 9 years and started a new series (using the same cabinets).
Other states may have different regulations.
René J.

--- On Wed, 2/4/09, Sherwood, Margaret <MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG> wrote:

From: Sherwood, Margaret <MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG>
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 2:39 PM

I know this subject has probably been addressed before, but I need to poll the
net.

We are a Pathology Core in a research center.  We have paraffin blocks (mostly
non-human) collected since we were established in 1986.  Our core will soon be
undergoing renovation and we need to either store or dispose of a good many of
these blocks.  It will be expensive to store all these blocks and, since most
of
them have never been accessed again, we would like to destroy them.

I would like to hear back from other people as to what their policy is,
especially in a clinical setting.

Thank you.

Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (W224)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)
617-726-6983 (lab)
617-726-1206 (fax)
msherwood <@t> partners.org

contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine
at
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.