[Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 4 14:08:31 CST 2009

We contact the person who requested and submitted the specimens to find out
if they want the blocks or tissue in some cases.  If they no longer want
them, have moved on to another facility or graduated and gone so are the
blocks.  The only other person we ask is the overall PI of the laboratory
and then he will decide in some rare cases what stays.

We need space and sometimes it just comes down to out of sight and gone so
are the specimens.

Sorry we had to get tough at one point.

Pamela A Marcum
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory (CORL)
382 W Street Rd
Kennett Square PA 19438
610-925-6278

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sherwood,
Margaret
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 2:39 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks

I know this subject has probably been addressed before, but I need to poll
the
net.

We are a Pathology Core in a research center.  We have paraffin blocks
(mostly
non-human) collected since we were established in 1986.  Our core will soon
be
undergoing renovation and we need to either store or dispose of a good many
of
these blocks.  It will be expensive to store all these blocks and, since
most of
them have never been accessed again, we would like to destroy them.

I would like to hear back from other people as to what their policy is,
especially in a clinical setting.

Thank you.

Peggy

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (W224)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)
617-726-6983 (lab)
617-726-1206 (fax)
msherwood <@t> partners.org

e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.