[Histonet] RE: perplexed

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Tue Feb 3 08:58:19 CST 2009

  10. perplexed (Angela Bitting)

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC and ISH

Hi everyone,
I am currently in the process of evaluating IHC equipment to replace my
old Dako Autostainers. The pathologists I work for are interested in
bringing ISH into our lab. My questions are, what IHC instrument have
you found works the best for IHC and ISH, and what kind of training did
your personnel go through to become qualified to perform ISH?

Thank you!
Jean Taylor, HT(ASCP)QIHC
ICH Tech
Meriter Labs
Madison, WI

We had the same issue here with our slides, even though the control tissue was mounted on the same slide, we would get decent control staining but no patient, or vice versa.  I spoke with several Ventana tech folk, and the one thing that they insisted on, was the brand of slide I was using. We never used the "control" slides with the little red box, just charged slides from another company than what Ventana was recommending.
As a tech with over 30 years of experience, I couldn't imagine that one plus charged slide could be so different from the other and that it would contribute that much difference to how tissue would stain.  After all, the tissue was still stuck fast, and no one could explain the principle behind what they were saying.
But hey - I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  Once we switched to Cardinal's Superfrost Plus slides instead of another company's "charged" slides, we never had the problem again.
It still doesn't make sense, and no one can explain why, but it did seem to make a difference.
I hope this helps you. Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical Center
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
(215) 938-3676 phone
(215) 938-3689 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.