[Histonet] Re: Stain to differentiate Hemoglobin from Hemosiderin?

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:26:22 CST 2009

Jerry Ricks, Research Scientist, University of Washington,Department
of Pathology asks:

>>I've seen Prussian blue as a stain for hemosiderin but that would also stain hemoglobin.<<

The Perls prussian blue reaction occurs with hemosiderin ("stainable
iron") but not with hemoglobin, hematin, formalin pigment, malarial
pigment, or melanin.

It isn't a stain, but a reaction between ferric iron and ferrocyanide
ion that produces a dense blue precipitate.

The Stainsfile page doesn't really answer your questions, and I'd
suggest looking it up in some of the standard textbooks.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN