[Histonet] Re: Silver Nitrate instead of inking??

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:43:22 CST 2009

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP), Immunohistochemistry Supervisor,
Department of Surgical Pathology, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester
NY notes:

>>We in our lab use regular household white vinegar to help the ink stay on the tissue during processing, cheap and safe.<<

I forgot to mention this, because I personally don't use it - I find
that if you take the time to blot an unfixed or fixed specimen
thoroughly dry before inking, the ink stays on quite satisfactorily.
But if the pathologist does want to use something, then 3% acetic acid
(which can be ordinary household white vinegar diluted 1 to 1 with
water) should be offered. Don't use Bouin's fixative (we all know the
varied problems presented by picric acid), nor acetone (flammable).

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN