[Histonet] Re: Silver Nitrate instead of inking??

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Fri Dec 18 14:50:34 CST 2009

We in our lab use regular household white vinegar to help the ink stay on the tissue during processing, cheap and safe.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Surgical Pathology
(585) 275-7210
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Richmond [rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 2:59 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Silver Nitrate instead of inking??

I've worked in about 60 pathology operations since 1964. I have NEVER
seen silver nitrate used for tissue marking, though I've heard of it.

I think the point about the silver fouling processors is well taken.
In addition, silver has the nasty habit of forming explosive complexes
- I don't want to think about it reacting with Bouin's fixative to
form silver picrate.

There are basically three options. India ink - $4 a bottle from your
local crafts store. Special marking inks, of which the Davidson
marking inks are perhaps the most widely used, and in my opinion the
best (I have no commercial connection with Mrs. Stewart, much less
with Martha Stewart). The third option is tattoo inks - cheap,
available in an unlimited variety of colors, and in my limited
experience with them they get the job done.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN