[Histonet] alcian blue stain

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 14 10:30:13 CST 2009

Perform the Alcian blue first, then follow with the H&E.
Done it hundreds of times, no problem.

Bryan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry, Margaret" <Margaret.Perry <@t> sdstate.edu>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 11:17 AM
Subject: [Histonet] alcian blue stain

We are really getting new research procedures lately.  As with almost all
published papers the methods are a quick overview without details.  We have
been asked to do a combination stain of H&E with alcian blue.  Would you
recommend doing the alcian blue 8GX pH 2.5 first, doing it after the
hematoxylin or after the eosin?  I'm concerned about the eosin bleeding out
and the possible change in pH affecting the stains.

Margaret Perry