[Histonet] fish scales and horse hooves (softening)

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Sun Dec 13 10:28:52 CST 2009

Thank you John.  I did a search and found a excellent explanation on
different types of fish scales.   Having not worked with the species nor
their scales, I am now enlightened on scales.  As for Margaret's problem,
Jane Chladny had a protocol for horse hooves although she used very long
processing schedule for these large specimens, and I did not include that
information in  this message.   However, Margaret may want to try this
method , a combination softening and decalcification.   Jane also published
this method with more discussion in Sakura's HistoLogic (check their website
archives).  Margaret can adjust her times in the following solution to fit
her needs and size of scales.

Jane Chladny Horse Hoof Fixation/Decalcification/Softening.

After complete fixation, we soften the hoof for 1-2 weeks ( adjust time to
fit fish scales)  in a solution of 10 ml Tween 80 in 100 ml 1N HCl.
Following softening, the tissue is rinsed in water and processed.

Happy Holidays

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)