[Histonet] CAP question

Drew Meyer 41dmb41 <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:35:43 CST 2009

There has already been a lot of responses to this, but I thought I'd
add mine anyway.

For all our specimens in-house that are delivered from surgery, we
have three identifiers present: name, DOB and MR number.  We
eliminated the use of SSN (from our reports as well), since we all
know how dangerous it is to have your SSN just floating around.

Specimens received from outside facilities are a little different,
because the outside facility can't possibly label the specimen with
our MR number; it's assigned once the specimen arrives at our
location.  In those instances, just the name and DOB are used.

At the time of accession, we do add the in-house pathology case number
to all the specimens as well.  You might call this overkill, but it
helps greatly when we need to pull a specimen later on and it helps
cut down on grossing errors.

The big thing from CAP is the two identifiers.  When you're
specifically dealing with outpatient centers where you might not be
able to get the medical record number on the container at the time of
collection, it seems to me that the best choice is to use name and
DOB.  Just my 2 cents.

Drew