[Histonet] Re: uneven alternating sections on cryostat

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Fri Aug 28 09:15:08 CDT 2009

Nathan, you got great information already.  Be careful to make sure things are snug, but don't really clamp down on the holders. It's just not necessary. It just needs to be sturdy and not moveable.

If everything appears to be snug, then it's likely knife angle. Try making an OCT block and change the angle a little at time until you achieve complete, even, continuous sections. Then try it on your sample.

I'm not a neurohistotechnician but I'm sure there are some out there who can help with your LFB staining problem. I think a thickness of approx. 8-10 microns are recommended for sections for this stain. You might be seeing variability due to the thin/thick issues you're having, not due to any staining problem.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.