[Histonet] RE: Special stains and microwave

Cheri Miller cmiller <@t> physlab.com
Fri Aug 28 08:00:33 CDT 2009

We had one and we really didn't use it often enough to justify the cost. Maybe 2 or 3 stains benefited from it, otherwise waterbath and incubators were the preferred method for most of us.

Cheryl Miller HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Physicians Laboratory,P.C.
Omaha, Ne.
402 738 5052
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:09 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Special stains and microwave

Greetings Histonetters,

We have finally come to the point where we need to fish or cut bait in
relation to purchasing a laboratory approved microwave and venting it.

While I think it would be "cool" to have one, I'm wondering if the cost
is justified to do a handful of special stains that could be done
(though more slowly) in a laboratory oven like the one we already have.

Anyone with the time or desire to opine, please chime in.

Those who have purchased such a microwave, I'll gladly take suggestions.

Thanks in advance

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847