[Histonet] uneven alternating sections on cryostat

Nathan Cramer natecrmr <@t> gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 18:21:14 CDT 2009

   Thanks,  Joe  and  Adam. I'm always paranoid about over tightening and
   warping  some  piece of the equipment but maybe I'm being a little too
   gentle.  I'll  make  sure  everything  is nice and snug and see how it
   goes.
   Happy slicing...
   Nate
   Galbraith, Joe wrote:

Nathan:

As indicated by others - first check that everything is tight as that is
most often the issue - don't forget to check the adhesion of the
specimen to the chuck as well.  Also check the angle of approach to the
blade as it could be too steep or too shallow.

If everything is tight and properly adjusted, then you may have a
retraction issue.  If your cryostat retracts during the upstroke, the
head may still be returning to the proper distance from the head to the
specimen during the downstroke and hence you may see no section at first
and then a gradually increasing thickness of section during the
remainder of the downstroke.  This can be due to two causes: 1) You can
make this happen by operating the microtome at too high of a speed, if
you slow down and the process improves then speed may be a factor; 2)
Your microtome may be sticky and require maintenance (defrosting,
cleaning, lubrication, etc.).  The latter is best left to someone with
extensive experience or a service rep.

Good luck.

Joe Galbraith
University of Iowa