[Histonet] System for Follow-up of Pathology Results

Perkocha, Luke luke.perkocha <@t> ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 25 12:47:09 CDT 2009

Greetings:

We have formed a task force to look at "best practices" and system approaches to follow-up of pathology results. Medical errors have resulted when a physician's office has failed to follow-up on an abnormal or unexpected pathology result, or a recommendation made in a pathology report. Sometimes, the report is never received, sometimes it is received, but "lost" in the physician's office, sometimes it is to be discussed with the patient on a follow-up visit and the patient never shows up and the chain of follow-up is broken.

We are looking for information on the following:

 1.  Are there any systems or Anatomic pathology labs out there that have an automated way of confirming that pathology results were received by the ordering physician?
 2.  Are there any add on systems or middle ware that is in use to do this that can handle multiple different reporting systems: Our labs have 2, Co-path and Intellipath.

This may be available in fully integrated medical record and pathology reporting systems, but we are looking for something that works with existing systems.

Many thanks.

Luke A. Perkocha, MD, MBA

Associate Clinical Professor, Pathology and Dermatology

Associate Director, Surgical Pathology

office: 415 885-7254

e-mail: luke.perkocha <@t> ucsf.edu