[Histonet] Cleaning oil off objectives

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Thu Aug 20 21:35:51 CDT 2009

Adam
Hi
I would strongly recommend that the best approach is to train the people using the microscope, everyone is trainable although for some this may be a long learning curve.
The use of a taser with the later individuals is strongly recommended!

Several years ago the Zeiss representative in Iowa used the expanded plastic packing beads to wipe off the excess oil as he said this was much more absorbent for oil that lens tissue.
We have also seen the use of soft wood tips with oil that is encrusted on, on the understanding that the wood is much softer than the lens.. Never completely happy with that concept.
A lot depends on the type of lens that is being used.
Some lenses, especially older ones may have a coating that is easily damaged even by Q tips.
I would use lens paper first (don't be cheap skate with the lens tissue)  then repeat using  a small amount of lens cleaner. The most difficult and usually the most contaminated seem to be the 40 due to its working distance. Most of the lens cleaners have isopropyl alcohol and some acetone.
If it really does not get all the oil after repeating a couple of times then can use acetone but don't flood the lens just use small amounts and wipe across the face. Follow this with lens cleaner and lens paper.
Has always worked for me. This sounds a lengthy procedure but only takes a couple of minutes.
Hope that this helps
Barry

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Adam . [anonwums1 <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cleaning oil off objectives

Hi all,

You guys were so helpful on my last question, I'll ask another. We have a
microscope shared by the floor with several objectives, and it's pretty
common for the non-immersion objectives to get contaminated with oil. I
asked the guy who is responsible for the scope about this. He said that they
call someone from some company who carefully cleans the objectives with
acetone and a Q-tip, which if done right works wonders but if done wrong it
can damage the lenses. But he mentioned that the lenses are usually
re-contaminated within a few weeks since so many people use the scope, so
it's sort of a pointless endeavor. This system seems pretty silly to me... I
feel like there must be an easier and cheaper way to clean the lenses
without damaging them; I certainly don't want to be responsible for damaging
a microscope that costs more than my yearly salary. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Adam