[Histonet] New Lab Monitoring

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Thu Aug 20 05:12:57 CDT 2009

I think that OSHA says that you must have 2 acceptable monitoring sessions.  After that, you do not have to monitor again unless there is a change in method or environment that may impact ventilation/exposure.

We just moved into a new lab last December and have had to monitor about 6 times now before they were all acceptable.  We will wait a month or two then monitor again.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Knutson,
Deanne
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:18 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] New Lab Monitoring

Fellow Histonetters,

I am interested to hear your process in monitoring a new lab for
formaldehyde, xylene, etc....  We are moving our lab into a different area
of the hospital.  So we will be monitoring for xylene and formaldehyde.
Does anyone monitor for alcohols also?  If all monitors turn out within
acceptable numbers, does the monitor need to be repeated or are we good?
Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading with
interest on how others have completed this.

Deanne Knutson

Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

St. Alexius Medical Center

900 E. Broadway