[Histonet] New Lab Monitoring

Norm Burnham Norm.Burnham <@t> propath.com
Tue Aug 18 14:54:05 CDT 2009

This issue and related requirements are well-described in the relevant CAP
checklist questions.

____________________________________

Norm Burnham
Director of Laboratory Operations
ProPath - The Leader in Pathology Services

8267 Elmbrook Drive, Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75247
214.237.1602 Office
214.237.1802 Fax

214.709.7127 Cell

Email: norm.burnham <@t> propath.com

To learn more about ProPath, please visit http://www.ProPath.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:54 PM
To: Knutson, Deanne
Cc: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu';
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] New Lab Monitoring

We monitor for formalin.  We do not use xylene.  We have an outside
company that comes in to perform air quality and exchanges.  The techs
wear formaldehyde badges for an 8 hr. period.  The pathologist are
monitored for 15 mins. while they are grossing.  The technician that dumps
formalin off tissues to be discarded wears a badge for 15 mins as well. We
are monitored every year.  I believe this is an OSHA requirement.
If you use xylene you must be monitored as well.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP),Chief Histologist, Southside Regional Medical
Center,
200 Medical Park Boulevard, Petersburg, Va.  23805, T: 804-765-5050, F:
804-765-5582, dkboyd <@t> chs.net

"Knutson, Deanne" <DKnutson <@t> primecare.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
08/18/2009 03:21 PM

"'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] New Lab Monitoring

Fellow Histonetters,

I am interested to hear your process in monitoring a new lab for
formaldehyde, xylene, etc....  We are moving our lab into a different area
of the hospital.  So we will be monitoring for xylene and formaldehyde.
Does anyone monitor for alcohols also?  If all monitors turn out within
acceptable numbers, does the monitor need to be repeated or are we good?
Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to reading with
interest on how others have completed this.

Deanne Knutson

Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

St. Alexius Medical Center

900 E. Broadway

Bismarck, North Dakota  58506

(701)-530-6730

dknutson <@t> primecare.org <mailto:dknutson <@t> primecare.org>

Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain information that is
Proprietary, Confidential, or legally privileged or protected. It
is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named
in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
material from your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy
this message and do not disclose its contents or take any action in
reliance on the information it contains.