[Histonet] Slide Brite xylene substitute

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Aug 12 13:03:20 CDT 2009

I inherited a couple gallons of slide brite. We have been using it for a month or two and is very inferior to other clearants we have tried. I just got sick of the drawbacks and got rid of it. It always seemed to leave water droplets on our slides and takes alot longer to clear. We changed back to Propar from Anatech. We have never had problems with it. We still use Permount on our slides but Anatech also has their Refrax mountant that is formulated to work better with Permount.
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of jennifer cresor mike hough
Sent: Tue 8/11/2009 9:22 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Slide Brite xylene substitute

Hello all,

Does anyone out there have experiences with Slide Brite xylene substitute? Did you have any problems? Lately, I have been finding what appears to be water on my slides. Under the microscope it looks like pink gobules on the slide and the tissue. The last 2 days I changed out all of my stains and reagents to see if that would cure the problem and it did not. It is very random, not on all of the slides. But, when these gobules are on the slide it changes the stain dramatically to a dark blue appearing hematoxylin. Any thoughts? I am considering whether to change to a different xylene substitute. Any recommendations. Thank you for your response.

Jennifer
Temecula, California
jencres <@t> ca.rr.com