[Histonet] Human samples in university research lab

Denise Crowley dencrowl <@t> MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 10 08:42:52 CDT 2009

Hi all,

We are a research core facility processing animal tissues for cancer
research.  We have been approached by a collaborator about bringing
human sample to us for processing, sectioning, and routine H&E
staining, for use in research, not diagnosis.  In the past, we have
always encouraged these folks to have their slides cut at the
clinical facility which is supplying the tissue.  But we are getting
more and more of these requests and I need to think about the changes
we would need to make in our protocols, both in the processing
schedules and safety issues.  And I cannot even imagine the legal
issues involved in transporting patient samples and informed
consent.  Can anyone give me some guidance here?
Thanks,

Denise Crowley
Facility Manager Histology
David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
40 Ames St. E17-427
Cambridge MA  02139
617-258-8183