[Histonet] Mouse Vs. Rabbit

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:36:15 CDT 2009

Delia:

Here is a link to a good overview article for the issues involved in your question.  In the early days (and still somewhat true), the main difference between rabbit and mouse derived antibodies was polyclonal vs monoclonal.  Today that distinction has been blurred somewhat as there are polyclonal mouse and monoclonal rabbit antibodies available for limited applications.  Species selection is also driven by the need to derive an antibody in a species other than the target you intend to stain (though even that barrier has been bridged by systems like 'mouse on mouse' kits currently available).  I hope this helps.

http://dels.nas.edu/ilar_n/ilarjournal/46_3/pdfs/v4603Lipman.pdf

Joe Galbraith
University of Iowa
joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of DELIA GARCIA
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:03 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Mouse Vs. Rabbit

Hi,

I am  new to IHC so please excuse me if I dont ask this question properly. What is the difference between a mouse clone and rabbit clone? I came across a decision I had to make while purchasing an antibody. It was mentioned that usually a rabbit clone is the preferred. Is that true and why? Thank you so much!

Delia