[Histonet] Stain for decalcified GMA embedded bone

Yash Kolambkar yashk <@t> gatech.edu
Fri Aug 7 14:12:52 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am looking for a stain for formalin fixed, decalcified (2 weeks in
CalEx II), GMA embedded rat femur samples that still has some muscle as
well as fibrous tissue. I would like the stain to distinguish the bone
from the muscle and fibrous tissue. I do not need to study the
microstructure of the bone, just need something that can contrast the
different tissues.

I've tried the standard Masson's trichrome (with Aniline Blue), but the
bone stained red and the contrast between the bone and the rest of the
tissue is not strong. Same with H&E.

Please let me know if you have any experience with such a stain. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yash
--