[Histonet] Processing Fat for Paraffin

Laurie Reilly laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Thu Apr 30 18:15:16 CDT 2009

Dear Paula,

Don't knock the Autotechnicon, they can still do a great job of processing.
We processed with a Shandon-Elliott Duplex up until 3 years ago and it was
great (apart from the fumes in the lab).

We run the cycle below as a 16hour, overnight process successfully.

I don't know if your citrisolv will be as effective at dissolving fat as
xylene, but it would be easy to do a little trial.

The major problem with processing fatty tissues, assuming that they are
fixed properly, is that Ethanol is not a good solvent for fat and therefore
connot penetrate the tissues completely, so the tissues are inadequately
dehydrated.
We have had some success with lipomas by adding a "degreasing" step of
xylene into the processing schedule.
70% ethanol
80% ethanol
90% ethanol
95% ethanol
Absolute ethanol
Xylene
Absolute ethanol
Xylene
Xylene
Paraffin
Paraffin
Paraffin
The first Absolute ethanol will dehydrate the tissue to some extent. The
next Xylene step will remove most of the fat and then the second Absolute
ethanol can complete the dehydration.

A compromise situation that we use routinely is to have
 Absolute ethanol
50:50 Absolute ethanol:Xylene
Xylene
This is not quite as effective but it is less disruptive to the normal
schedule and handles moderately fatty tissues.

Good luck with your fat.

Regards,    Laurie.

Mr. Laurie REILLY
Histopathology
School of  Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.  4811
Australia.

Phone 07 4781 4468