[Histonet] Processing Fat for Paraffin

Va Paula Sicurello vapatpxs <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 17:22:08 CDT 2009

Hello out there in fat processing land,

I have been given human fat samples and need to embed them in paraffin.  In the past I've used a VIP processor for this and now I have an Autotechnicon (vintage dual model) with a timing wheel.

I know I need to process these fatties slowly, my question is--can I use 2 hours per step and have it turn out OK?  I have a timing wheel punched out for 2 hour steps.

My steps would be alcohols: 70, 80, 95 x 2, 100 x 3, Citrisolv x3, paraffin x2 and another paraffin step under vacuum.

Let me know your wise and experienced opinions or protocols.  I don't have anything else to use except the 43 year old Autotechnicon so don't even suggest it.  You make me feel bad that I can't get my research foundation to buy me something new or even newer.  ;-)

Stewing in somebody else's fat (eew!),

Paula  :-)

Paula Sicurello
VA Medical Center San Diego
Veterans Medical Research Foundation (VMRF)
Core Research Imaging Center
3350 La Jolla Village Dr., MC151
San Diego, CA 92161
858-552-8585 x2397