[Histonet] different microtome?

Pamela Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 14:25:51 CDT 2009

Peggy,

We are cutting decal in paraffin and non-decal bone in MMA on Leica RM2255 microtomes almost daily.  The motor is strong enough for the MMA and we have great success using both manual and motorized sectioning for decal bone.  We do large pieces of sheep spine for both.  The sections have always been even for just picking up a few sections or serial sections.  Hope this helps.

Pam Marcum

UPENN Vet Sch

New Bolton Center

----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret DiCarlo" <MDiCarlo <@t> KaleidaHealth.Org>
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:16:39 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Histonet] different microtome?

Hello Everyone,

I am attempting to cut decaled (with EDTA) dog bone tissue which is
attached to a partial tooth, manually processed and embedded in Tissue
Prep 2 paraffin.  I have cut one block but have only gotten thick and
thin sections.  I am currently using a Microm HM 325 using high profile
disposable blades.  My boss wanted me to find out if there is a better
microtome out there that could cut this tissue serially.  Are there any?

Thank you.

Peggy DiCarlo HT (ASCP)

Orthopedic Bone Lab

Buffalo General Hospital

Buffalo, NY  14203

716-859-1293

2008 Best Places to Work Finalist
Visit our careers page at www.kaleidahealth.org/careers

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email transmission and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any further review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution, or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, discard any paper copies, and delete all electronic files of the message. If you are unable to contact the sender or you are not sure as to whether you are the intended recipient, please e-mail ISTSEC <@t> KaleidaHealth.org or call (716) 859-7777.