[Histonet] Cloudy MMA embedded block

Garcia, Lori, Sr. Scientist lori.garcia <@t> medtronic.com
Tue Apr 21 13:11:45 CDT 2009

 In our lab we do store our MMA solutions in a flammable storage refrigerator per EHS requirements; however we put Molecular Sieves in all solutions to keep moisture from contaminating them. We rarely have any problems with cloudy blocks. We order them from VWR, catalog # JT2708-1, 500 g, ~$40 each; manufacturer is J.T. Baker. They last a very long time and are useful for any open non-aqueous solution. Just add a few (6-12) to each container.

Hope this helps!
Lori

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pamela Marcum
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:45 AM
To: Jack Ratliff
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cloudy MMA embedded block

Hi,

We don't store our MMA or DBP in the refirgerator as the movement between 4C and room temperature can cause condensation in the bottles.  This just adds water to the material and as it is cooled and re-warmed you are adding more each time and in both directions.   When it comes to room temperature and then is replaced in the refrigerator it again will develop condensation.  Over time the MMA will have enough water in it to become discolored.  I am surprised you are not seeing the discoloration in the MMA liquid as it poured as a warning not to use it.

We have fair control of temperature in the laboratory and are generally between 68F to 75F with the average as around 70F.  We have never had a problem with the MMA polymerizing or developing a water content.  It is stored in a dark cabinet that is in an area I would say is a little cooler than the room.  We generally don't polymerize in the cold at 4C however, you timing seems long for the process.  It is best not to disturb the vials too much once you are in the embedding phase.  Movement or inversion of the vials can cause a problem as the MMA will polymerize from the bottom up and remixing it can slow the process.  Also make sure you tops are tight at this step.

Pam Marcum

UPENN Vet Sch

New Botlon Center