[Histonet] Re: Gross Photography

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 08:16:31 CDT 2009

In my travels as a locum tenens pathologist, I've never seen a
pathology service with functioning gross photography, and most of the
pathologists I've worked with have been quite hostile to the idea.
When a surgeon requests a gross photograph, either an ancient Polaroid
camera is hauled out of a forgotten drawer and used to take an
out-of-focus print, or else somebody calls Public Relations and half
an hour later a dresser-for-successer comes click-click-clicking into
the lab in her high heels, goes eeeeyyewww, and takes an out-of-focus
photograph using high-end equipment.

I've done a fair amount of digital gross photography, using my own
camera. Very useful for tumor conferences and the like.

Yesterday I shot the photographic protocol for a hospital's tumor
board, photographing through the microscope's ocular with my Nikon
Coolpix.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN