[Histonet] CNS Fixation

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Fri Apr 17 12:10:48 CDT 2009

Sara,

This is what we do here with animal brain tissue:

1) Brain should fix for a 24-48 hrs in NBF.
2) They are trimmed in to about 5 mm thick (for embedding cassette).
3) Place cassettes face UP on the ice tray before sectioning (not face
down).
3) The sections are cut at 4 um.
4) Waterbath temp is between 38-40. If they are exploding on the waterbath,
then turn it down to about 34-36, making sure the wrinkles flatten out
before sections are picked up.
5) Use adhesive slides.
6) For routine stains (H&E), the slides can either go in a 56C oven for 15
minutes to get the water out or go directly onto the autostainer.  For IHC,
they go into the oven at 80C for 30 minutes, then proceed with the IHC
staining protocols.

Brains usually don't stay on if they are not fixed long enough, processed
completely or have to much moisture in them from the ice tray.So, we don't
put the brains face down on the ice tray. They are face up on the ice tray.
This way they don't soak up water, they just get chilled.

Jan Shivers
Section Head
HIstology/IHC/EM
Univ. of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
St. Paul, MN