[Histonet] RE: Lab Week-Histology Trivial or Fun Facts

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Tue Apr 14 14:24:09 CDT 2009

Lori
Trivia but may not be fun.
A fact re electron microscope.
Glass knives have been used in electron microscopy since around the 1950s for preparation of thin sections.
(The best glass was from antique windows. As glass is a viscous material that is constantly flowing, antique glass has less strain lines in it.)
However this was not the first instance in which glass knives were used.
I believe the first use was by Gutav Mann. In his book on histologic technique in 1902 he recommended the use of glass instead of steel knives in those instances when tissues were to be examined for iron, as he was afraid that steel knives used during cutting would contaminate the tissue.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Disher Lori
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:13 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Lab Week-Histology Trivial or Fun Facts

Hello,
  I was wondering if anyone has some histo trivial-fun facts to share for Lab Week?  I remember a supervisor told me long ago that she was told while in training, that if you took a hard boilded egg and sectioned it at 2 microns you would have enough sections to cover a football field.  Has anyone ever heard that one before?  Can anyone contribute any others?  We are trying to come up with some games for lab week.
Lori