[Histonet] re: decaling bone

Matthew Close matthewtclose <@t> gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:01:23 CDT 2009

 I don't think the bone matrix will re-calcify with normal bone histo
solutions.  What exactly are you using to decalcify the tissue?  Hardening
can occur at many steps following decal.  I stopped using  a commercial
decalcifying agent (which consisted of formic acid with chelating agents
added) because my tissue samples would harden more rapidly after
dehydration, clearing and infiltration (paraffin) and wouldn't infiltrate
properly.  Not sure if it was the chelating additives or not, but I went
back to using Formic A solution with 5-10% formic depending on the type of
tissue.

Matt