[Histonet] RE: Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Fri Apr 3 14:09:09 CDT 2009

I would not use liquid nitrogen.  The safest way to do this is to put the blocks in a refrigerator freezer for a couple of hours.  Remove quickly, remove caps, wrap in paper towels and hit with a hammer.  Be sure to wear protective clothing, eye covers and gloves.  When the glass has broken into the towel put the towel in a sharps container, rinse the block and procees with the sectioning.

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Center for Orthopaedic Research
Barton Research Building 2R28
4301 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 686-8739 PHONE
(501) 686-8987 FAX
swainfrancesl <@t> uams.edu email

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Monfils, Paul
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 1:00 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Someone gave me some small PMMA blocks polymerized inside glass scintillation vials.  I always use plastic vials.  Obviously the vials have to be broken to get the blocks out.  Does anyone have some advice on the best way to do this?  The guy who brought them said he thought I could "use liquid nitrogen", but had no specifics.  Any help will be appreciated.