[Histonet] Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Shakun Aswani Shakun.Aswani <@t> acologix.com
Fri Apr 3 13:23:30 CDT 2009

Hi Paul,
I did so many of those PMMA blocks cracking. Take a under pad, line your
blocks not too many and cover with another under pad and start
(literally) hammering them one by one with hammer gently I am not
kidding. Make sure you wear safety glasses and double gloves to protect
your hands. When the blocks are cracked remove them and rinse with tap
water and small glass pieces will go into sharp container. I know seems
very complicated but it is not.
If you have more questions regarding this please fell free to contact
me.
Good Luck
Shakun

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Monfils,
Paul
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:00 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Someone gave me some small PMMA blocks polymerized inside glass
scintillation vials.  I always use plastic vials.  Obviously the vials
have to be broken to get the blocks out.  Does anyone have some advice
on the best way to do this?  The guy who brought them said he thought I
could "use liquid nitrogen", but had no specifics.  Any help will be
appreciated.