[Histonet] FFPE mouse tissue problem

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 11:33:53 CDT 2008

The difference resides in the fat contents. Decalcification tends to increase the difficulties. If you have enough time to process, try to decalcify using EDTA instead of an acid decalcification. Your dehydration times should also be shortened and use 2-propanol instead of ethanol, and if you want to really overcome the difficulties, substitute xylene with mixtures of 2-propanol:mineral oil (5:1 and 2:1) at 50ºC followed by pure mineral oil at 50ºC before your usual paraffin baths.
René J.

--- On Tue, 9/16/08, Judy Strauss <STRAUSSJ <@t> upstate.edu> wrote:

From: Judy Strauss <STRAUSSJ <@t> upstate.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] FFPE mouse tissue problem
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 11:26 AM

Good Morning,

For the first time I find myself working with decalcified mouse tissue and
all is not well.  Bone is fine but the muscle tissue in the block is
"crispy" and shreds when sectioned.  I do not know if the tissue is
over/under fixed or over/under processed.  I would like to know why mouse
tissue behaves so differently from rat.  I would appreciate a protocol
(along with helpful hints) for embedding decalcified mouse hind limbs in
paraffin.

Thanks in advance,

Judith Strauss
SUNY Upstate Medical University