[Histonet] RE (Histonet) Bones

Farish, Craig cfarish <@t> csu.edu.au
Sun Oct 26 18:19:25 CDT 2008

Hi Ian,

                Dermestid beetles are definitely the least smelly option
(although they are not perfect). You'll find that there will usually be
a residual smell in the short term. They can, however, damage small or
delicate bones and the best way to deal with these is by bacterial
maceration. This smells beyond belief. The anatomy dept here uses flow
hoods but you can still smell it from the other side of the building.
I've read about people putting them in tubs and leaving them outside(a
very long way away) but that's probably not an option in the West End of
Glasgow. When they are done, do not use bleach to whiten the bones as
that makes them brittle - use dilute hydrogen peroxide (around 3 - 5%).
It's worth trying some of the taxidermy forums as well - taxidermy.net
is a good place to start.

Have fun, Craig

Craig (Joe) Farish

Senior Technical Officer

Veterinary Diagnostics

School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences

Charles Sturt University

Wagga Wagga NSW 2678

Australia

' I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve
immortality through not dying' - Woody Allen