[Histonet] as Thanksgiving approaches, what do you think about a gall bladder in vinegar ?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 08:27:28 CST 2008

I think it is a good idea of a pickled gall bladder. Do not add onions please!
René J.

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Della Speranza, Vinnie <dellav <@t> musc.edu> wrote:

From: Della Speranza, Vinnie <dellav <@t> musc.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] as Thanksgiving approaches, what do you think about a gall bladder in vinegar ?
To: "histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 5:37 PM

I have a patient requesting her gall bladder be returned to her for religious
reasons.
The premise I've been given is so that, upon death, the patient may be
stored with her body parts.

My facility has concerns about providing it to her in formalin (for obvious
reasons) or alcohol. The patient admits this is a family practice with
momma's appendix already being stored in the attic.

It can get a bit toasty warm here in the South so attic storage of a specimen
in alcohol may not be prudent and I can't be absolutely certain it
wouldn't burn the house down, another potential liability for my
institution.

I'm tempted to give it to her in food grade vinegar, to avoid the potential
liabilities from using anything that could be considered hazardous.
Assuming that returning her gall bladder is a given, what do you think of using
vinegar for this purpose?

Vinnie Della Speranza

Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services

Medical University of South Carolina