[Histonet] tissue/formalin disposal

Fidgen, Laura L. FidgenL <@t> shmc.org
Thu Nov 20 19:23:47 CST 2008

Hi everyone!

Can I get a survey of how higher volume labs (40-50,000 cases per year) dispose of their formalin and tissues?  Are there companies out there that will take both (i.e. the tissues remain in formalin in their containers)?  My safety officers are asking that we strain the tissues from the formalin, neutralize the formalin, replace the tissue to their containers then have our solid waste folks get rid of it.  Once neutralized, our formalin can be disposed in the sink drains.

Any information would be appreciated.

Laura Fidgen, HT(ASCP)cm
Histology Supervisor
Sacred Heart Medical Center