[Histonet] Fibrin stain

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Nov 17 15:14:59 CST 2008

Carol,

You may want to reconsider using PTAH for fibrin as the fixative of choice
is Zenkers or after formalin fixation, a Zenkers postfixation/mordanting, a
mercury fixative.  I don't think you will want to mess with mercury
disposal.  One can speed up ripening time of PTAH by adding potassium
permangante, but I suggest you use a different mercury free staining method.

Peggy Wenk graciously sent me the Martius Scarlet Blue (MSB) after Lendrum
some years ago. I would be happy to send that method to you via private
email.   She gave a lot of details on how to make it work in the method, and
it was not that difficult to set up.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bobrowitz, Carol" <cbobrowi <@t> mcw.edu>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 1:45 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Fibrin stain

Hello Everyone,

I need to do some staining for fibrin.

One stain will be the PTAH.

I would make up the stain but ripening time I don't have.

Any recommendations for a vendor who makes and supplies the PTAH stain
solution?

Also an acid red 35 stain has been mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I've been told the wrong acid red.

There are stains for fibrin that use an acid red.

Any recommendations would be appreciated?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Carol Ann Bobrowitz HT/HTL

Department of Physiology

Medical College of Wisconsin