[Histonet] Another "Pen Shell" muscle issue

Carlos Hotmail alzcarlos <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 21:24:49 CST 2008

Hi all

I am returning to the histonet for some help.

The previous time I asked for help because I cannot stain correctly the muscle tissue of a mollusc, the "Pen Shell" Atrina maura.

I returned because neither PTAH, Mallory´s, Masson´s or Milligan´s trichromes stained consitently the muscle (smooth or striated) of this evasive species.
All the times I run a stain made some positives with sections of muscle from other organisms, vetebrate and invertebrates. And in all lf them the muscle looked right. All but the Pen Shell.

All the times almost all or every muscle cell stained as connective tissue, with very very small sections with a positive muscle reaction.

Anyone could help me to know how the tipical mammal muscle tissue stains?  I think if I know how the chemistry works I could find the exact problem with my stains.

All the samples are fixed in formalin 10% or Davidson, processed in ethanol series, Hemo-de (xilol substitute of limonene), paraplas plus and sectioned at 4 microns with a leica microtome.

thanks

(please give me an apologyze for my bad english writing)

Carlos Augusto Aguilar Cruz
Marine Biologist

Histology Laboratory at Unidad Pichilingue
Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Sur
La Paz, Baja California Sur, México