[Histonet] Immuno Controls

Mitchell, Jeannette M. Jeannette.Mitchell <@t> vtmednet.org
Thu May 29 16:51:45 CDT 2008

I second that.  Autostainers are great but what if it does faulter.... you have just put out a slide that is negative... but is it really!!!

Jeannette Mitchell
R&D Histotechnologist
FAHC
Burlington,VT

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dana Spears [dspears <@t> mmci.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:29 PM
To: Mark A Burton; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Immuno Controls

Histonetters,

In my opinion, it is always better for patient safety to have the control and the patient tissue on the same slide - no matter what platform you are running (or even if you were running them manually!).  I've used BioGenex, DAKO, Ventana, and manual methods and I feel it is better for the patient AND cheaper if the control is on the same slide.    No matter how you are running your IHCs, there is the slight possibility that the instrument could falter or you could forget to apply a reagent to a particular slide - better to have the control on there and you KNOW it worked.  Sure, there is the argument that you go through more control blocks, but if you align your chuck every time and are careful, that additional tissue is a small price to pay for better patient care!!!

Dana Spears, HTL(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Manager
Methodist Medical Center
(309) 672-4930 (office)
(309) 255-7214 (cell)
dspears <@t> mmci.org

>>> "Mark A Burton" <mburton1 <@t> bu.edu> 5/29/2008 3:15 PM >>>

I'm sure this discussion must be in the archives but my understanding of how
the Ventana Benchmark works is that there is a plunger that presses on a
dispenser bottle to deliver the antibodies and reagents to the slide. If the
dispenser bottle is not primed or if there is some type of interference than
you would not get any antibody or reagent delivered to your slide. Without a
control on each slide, there is no way to know. Is this a legitimate
argument? or is the amount of time and tissue needed to accomplish this too
costly?