[Histonet] Excelsior processor in Biotech/Pharma facilities

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 11:07:52 CDT 2008

Tracy:
  Do you mean the Xpress by Sakura (the same manufacturer as the VIP)?
If that is the case the Xpress is a mixed technology between "conventional" paraffin infiltration (2 retorts) and microwave technology (another 2 retorts for dehydration and clearing). It uses less reagents, but can process 40 cassettes only each time finished every 15 minutes after a 45 minutes wait. It costs $250,000
  I would never use any other tissue processor than a VIP
René J.

Tracy Bergeron <tracy.bergeron <@t> biogenidec.com> wrote:
  Hi folks,

We are looking into getting a new processor in our lab. We are
trying to decide between the VIP and the Excelsior. Several of us are
most familiar with the VIP, and like the ease of use and # of cassettes it
holds, the rest of our group though familiar with the VIP like the idea of
conserving reagents by using the Excelsior.

That said
I am looking for information from the biotech/Pharma community on the
Excelsior.
Is there anyone out there using this processor outside the clinical lab?
Does it work well on rodent tissue?
What about hard tissues?
Bone
Paws (mouse and rat)

My next question is for people familiar with the earlier models of the
Excelsior as well as the newest model. (clinical or research)
I find the software for the older model very cumbersome and not user
friendly.
Is the software on the newer machines any easier to use for the average
person?
Is it as easy as using the VIP, or Pathcenter? - follow the prompts sort
of thing.

I would appreciate any input folks have.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tracy E. Bergeron, B.S., HT, HTL (ASCP)
Associate Scientist III, Pathology