[Histonet] Colloidal iron methods

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 10:32:27 CDT 2008

Martha-

Years past I made and used both Hales and Mowry's, but ended up going over to alcian blue.  The alcian blue solution is very easy to make, but you need to adjust the pH to what you are intending to stain (3.0 for most mucopolysaccharides, 1.0 for chondroitin sulfates in cartilage).

Also, I had variable results until I located a good source for the powder.  Every old container you might find will stain differently.  I suggest buying some fresh from a reputable supplier, and keeping with that lot number once its usefulness has been established.

Good luck!

Joe Saby, BA HT

----- Original Message ----
From: Martha Ward <mward <@t> wfubmc.edu>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:41:15 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Colloidal iron methods

My manager asked me to post this for him:

Which method are people using for colloidal iron:  Hales, Mowry's or
something else?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Martha Ward, MT (ASCP) QIHC
Assistant Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
Medical Center Blvd.
Winston-Salem, NC 27157
336-716-2756
mward <@t> wfubmc.edu