[Histonet] Decal procedures-assessing endpoints

peter.craven <@t> nhs.net peter.craven <@t> nhs.net
Thu Mar 27 09:54:28 CDT 2008

Greg
We use a chemical end point test where we neutralise 5ml of the used decal
solution with ammonia then add an equal quantity of saturated Ammonium
Oxalate and leave for 30 mins if the solution goes cloudy we change the
solution the specimen is in and keep decalcifying. If it stays clear we
process and cut the tissue. The tissue need to be in the decalcifier for at
least overnight to give an accurate reading, works with acid decalcifying
solutions but not with EDTA. We use a litmus paper strip to identify the
acid has been neutralised.

Hope this helps

Peter L Craven FIBMS
BMS2
Pathology Department
Raigmore Hospital
Inverness
IV2 3UJ
Tel 01463 704000 ext 4269

No trees were hurt in the sending of this email
However many electrons were severly inconvienienced