[Histonet] Barley roots

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Thu Mar 27 08:30:15 CDT 2008

Ian
I am not a plant physiologist  but I have processed onion roots and also
occasional some cactus and stain depends on what you want to see.
For mitoses I used Heidenhain's iron hematoxylin or Feulgen reaction and
these were really nice.
Have also used crystal violet alone or followed by Lugol's
iodine-potassium iodide.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ian
Montgomery
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:16 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Barley roots

            A question for the botanical histologist. I've just fixed,
processed and cut barley roots for histology, so next is the staining
for
general structure. Being a humble physiologist it's back to the books
for
techniques. I've got a copy of Plant Microtechnique and Microscopy by
Steven
Ruzin and several techniques look good. Johansen's safranin and fast
green
or safranin O and orange G seems appropriate, but am I on the right
track
and which one? Comments on botanic staining would be welcome.

Ian.

Dr. Ian Montgomery,

Histotechnology,

I.B.L.S. Support Unit,