[Histonet] question about immunofluorescence staining in mouse spleen

Sharon scoop <@t> mail.nih.gov
Tue Mar 18 18:35:22 CDT 2008

Dear experts,

My boss has asked me about immunofluorescence staining in mouse
spleen:  How do you get rid of fluorescent background in mouse
spleen?  I suggested ammonia ethanol quenching which I know works in
bone marrow.  Is there a better method?  Also, my boss claims that
the macrophages have autofluorescence (formalin fixed paraffin
embedded tissue).  I always thought the rbcs would be the
autofluorescent cells.  Do the macrophages have autofluorescence?
Finally, is it reasonable to do frozen sections of mouse spleen?  I
thought frozen sections fixed in ice cold acetone or acetone-methanol
might solve the problem, but I was told that frozen sections would be
much to thick to get any good immunofluorescent pictures on.

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Unknowledgeably yours,
Sharon