[Histonet] Endogenous Peroxide Treatment - Immunohistochemistry

Andrea Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Sun Mar 16 10:48:23 CDT 2008

Dear Marilyn,

I agree with Isaac, that the likely culprit when staining liver is
biotin background. I don't know whether that is or is not the issue
in your case until we knew more about your protocol.

For my protocols, I use 3% H202 in H20 for 10 min RT and it blocks
endogenous peroxidase in liver very well for most applications (the
endogenous biotin still needs to be blocked with a kit).

However, if there is extramedullary hematopoiesis or a large
infiltration of neutrophils you may see WBC associated endogenous
peroxidase which is nearly impossible to block with standard methods.
For this we use glucose oxidase blocking method. I have an excellent
protocol from Gayle Callis I have used for years I can share if you
like. In fact, Gayle may even respond to this email with the protocol
herself also.

Cheers,
Andrea