[Histonet] bodians stain

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 14:43:49 CST 2008

  Mandy:
I used to prepare my own silver protargol fresh before each staining. I also developed a microwave procedure that could be completed in less than 2 hours.
  If you are interested I can send you a copy of my procedure.
  René J.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bell, Mandy"
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:52 AM
Subject: [Histonet] bodians stain

Does anyone have any tips on getting the Bodian method stain to work? My
coworker has been trying for the past few days, and the tissue is not
turning dark tan to brown in the protargol solution. We've tried
microwaving and letting it sit in the warm solution for 20 min, and
repeating this multiple times, and just letting it sit in the protargol
overnight. The only thing we've thought of is that the protargol solution
may have been shaken up, which the procedure says not to do. Any tips would
be greatly appreciated. (We're using FFPE brain tissue cut at 8 microns)
Thanks.

Mandy M Bell
Histology Department

Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula

831.625.4791