[Histonet] bodians stain

Bell, Mandy Mandy.Bell <@t> chomp.org
Thu Mar 6 13:52:51 CST 2008

Does anyone have any tips on getting the Bodian method stain to work?  My coworker has been trying for the past few days, and the tissue is not turning dark tan to brown in the protargol solution.  We've tried microwaving and letting it sit in the warm solution for 20 min, and repeating this multiple times, and just letting it sit in the protargol overnight.  The only thing we've thought of is that the protargol solution may have been shaken up, which the procedure says not to do.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  (We're using FFPE brain tissue cut at 8 microns)  Thanks.

Mandy M Bell
Histology Department

Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula

831.625.4791